Follow the group on fb and connect with other mamaz accepting the get fit and organized challenges!

This Blog currently has over 20 Healthy Habit Challenges to get you back on track!!

  • This Blog currently has over 20 Healthy Habit Challenges to get you back on track!!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do it for yourself!

My job requires me to make a good first impression.  I literally see hundreds of new people each event I work.  I have to be able to "friend" these people that I don't know within minutes and convince them they want to party with me.  When it comes to first impressions-looks matter.  You know the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", well that only applies if you want to read the whole book, not if you happen to come across the book on the way out the door.

I would venture to guess that the majority of people do not have jobs like mine.  Many people are surrounded by family, friends and co-workers that they see on a regular basis.

It dawned on me the other day that I look at the people in my life a lot different than I look at myself.  Wouldn't you agree that you accept your friends (and co-working friends) and family for who they are?  I never think "they should loose a few pounds" or "they really are getting a little crazy with those dorritos".  In fact, unless they are spiraling down a very unhealthy path or are not happy with themselves, I never think about the way my friends and family look--that's just who they are.  Of course, I judge myself like this all the time!

Then I had a thought.  What if I didn't want to stop eating bad because I wanted to look good, but because I wanted to feel good.  What if I didn't eat late at night because I'd rather wake up feeling light and rejuvenated as opposed to having a food hangover instead of because it will help me loose weight to look good.  What if I exercised for the feeling of accomplishment instead of because my arms are getting flabby.  What I I forgot about making a good first impression and focused on feeling good while doing good things for myself?

Wouldn't I naturally create healthy habits for myself just by choosing to prioritize making myself feel good? Wouldn't my confidence from choosing to make myself happy daily instead of being a slave to needing to look good naturally help with those crucial first impressions? Wouldn't my son pick up on the fact that treating yourself right feels good and is good for you?

Unless you have a job like mine, there are few times in life where first impressions actually matter.  The people that matter most in your life accept you for who you are not the things you notice when first walking up to a stranger.  They are way past the cover and are chapters into your book.

Do it for yourself.  Do it because you don't want to regret.  Do it because you don't want to feel bad about your choices.  Do it to feel happy in the end.

Hopefully the minor shift to making choices that make you feel good will empower you to accomplish your goals and be happy in the process:)

No comments:

Post a Comment